Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.
63724254

I am an exempt/salaried employee. I work in TN an "at will

Customer Question

I am an exempt/salaried employee. I work in TN an "at will state", and the company base is in SC (also "at will"). I work massive overtime (unpaid and no comp time). Others in my dept do not. I have to correct their work so I can do mine, report accurately, and meet my deadlines. One member was laid off Sept 2014, and another quit July 2015 (his role is not being filled). Their roles mostly fell to me. I worked over before then. I am delegated more and more to do. I can't seem to take time off. When I do, I have to back the time outand, still work over 50-60 hrs in 4 days. It's getting worse. We are told we must stay within 40 hours per week. My boss will tell me not to put in so many hours,and then right in the heels of saying that...sometimes even in the same phone all...she will give me several more things to do. The worst was the first week of June 2016 (month-end reporting time for me). I was given other things to do besides report. We had the Memorial Day holiday, and I had scheduled time off as well. I work from home and wound up working 24 hrs straight, taking a nap, working another 12 (at least), and then more the next day...61.75hrs in 4 days. I could meet my deadlines without overtime IF other staff would do their work properly (rather than my having to correct errors and omissions), and if I was not given additional last minute projects to complete during the same time. I'm told (and agree) I'm being abused, but since TN and SC are "at will" states, I don't have any choice, do I? It's either do as told, or quit. Right? I have to sign a reminder every year about my employer being "at will". I don't have a degree and have invested 26 years of hard work to earn my job and pay. I can't afford to reenter the job market and start over at minimum wage. However, the stress is not doing my health well. Also, I raised a Compliance issue, which I thought I did professionally and timely enough to prevent an actual issue I also have to validate most reports that leave our Dept. I did not feel I could validate something and asked questions, and for clarification that the entity the particular report was being submitted to was ok with what I was told to do. This did not go over well, and I feel I'm being retaliated against. It's month-end reporting time again. We have the 4th off for the holiday (and it's my birthday). My daughter has scheduled a trip to the beach for our family as my present. I requested this week off, and it was approved. However, I was notified on Thursday that my boss just learned a huge report is due. I was already working over to again correct errors and omissions of other staff so I could get my monthly reports done before logging off Friday. Now I have this, and they want it by the 10th...I am not scheduled to return until the 11th. She emailed me Fri and asked me if I would be able to get all the reports done before my vacation (because I m the only one that can do them). I said I was working as fast as I could and would update her later in the afternoon with my progress and next steps. Her reply was she was signing off for the day, so I would need to text her... I worked until about 2:30 am this morning, and signed off because I was too tired. Do I miss he trip with my family? Or am I allowed to go without repricussion? A similar thing happend last year when I was in Florida with my family. I received a text that the due date for a report was moved up to a time while I was on vacation. (Internal due date...not the use ate for the customer.). It's never really a good time for me to take vacation. As of June 1, I has 422 hours accrued. I schedule Mondays off a lot, to try to use the time,butnusuallynhave to back it out. I'm tired. I have have no quality of life. Considering my hard work, dedication, skills, and work ethic, I should not have to walk away from the salary I have earned just because of poor management. Time off during the first 2 weeks of the month is bad becuasenof reporting. Time off the last two weeks of the month is bad because I must then catch up on initiating new cases so other staff will have workload to review. I'm at a loss for what to do. It's not fair, but I know life isn't fair. I just wanted to make sure that my only options are to keep on doing as told, or quit. Thank you
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.

Try to delegate your work to someone else to reduce the burden. Otherwise, you are right either keep doing the work or quit are the options here.

Also, what exemption do you fall under? are you a manager, hold a professional license, or a secretary?

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.