Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

About two years ago, my place of employment (a prison),

Customer Question
where I work as a...
About two years ago, my place of employment (a prison), where I work as a teacher, decided to install security cameras in all the classrooms. The cameras, they said, were not being put there to monitor us, but were there for our safety. However, the cameras were installed in such a way that they are aimed directly at the teacher's desk. It was very unnerving, so I arranged my computer monitor to cover my face. After several months, I started getting a ringing sensation in my ears and started having memory problems, trouble concentrating, and felt dizzy. I was examined by a doctor who administered vestibular testing and it came out abnormal. I was also examined by two more ENT's and both said I have Tinnitus and mild hearing loss. I read something about electromagnetic sensitivity and because of the coincidence in time, I'm wondering if I could be having an adverse physiological response to having this camera targeted on me all day, every day. The Tinnitus is constant even after I come home.Also, I feel as though all the joy has been taken out of my job. Every move I make, probably every word I speak is being TAPED! Yet, they claim I'm not being monitored! It has started to affect my mood and my sleep is disturbed as well. I feel I am slipping into a depression. The anxiety and paranoia I feel all day is just wearing me down. I even have thoughts of hurting myself. I come home sometimes and just cry uncontrollably. I see a psychotherapist and he has suggested I go on disability, but I doubt that I could live on half of my pay at this point. Now, recently, they're switching from juvenile correction to adult, and I have been told that our computers are going to be taken away and put in some distant location. I have used my computer to take attendance, record grades, and obtain educational resources on the web, so now a valuable tool is being taken away from me for some unknown reason, and I suspect it's simply because I was using the monitor to partially block the camera's view on me. It's just all so bizarre. I can hardly concentrate and do my job effectively most days. I'm 61 but I don't have enough years to retire, and I'm afraid my age might be a barrier in getting employment elsewhere. I don't know what to do. My mental and physical health are suffering and I don't know if I have any legal recourse.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
7/1/2016
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question.

What is your question?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I stated, "I'm not sure if I have any legal recourse." So my question is, do I have any legal recourse, meaning is there any way to address my situation legally? I thought the question would be implicit in my description of the situation. Sorry, I just got this response and it is late in the day. I hope I have clarified it somewhat. Is there grounds for some kind of lawsuit against these people for making the work place so intolerable and hazardous to my physical and mental health?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please send your responses to***@******.***. Somehow, my friend's e-mail address got mixed up with me. She gave me a link to the Web site.
Employment Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Please note: (1) If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; and (2) I answer most questions within the hour. However, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and JA’s site disclaimers presented to you earlier. Finally, please remember to assign a feedback rating to close out the question.

1. Did you ever communicate your health concerns with your employer?

2. Has any medical professional told you that your health issues were proximately caused by the camera installation?

3. If so, did you share that information with the employer and ask for reasonable accommodations?

Tina, Lawyer