How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 56568
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband experienced discrimination at s previous

Customer Question

My husband experienced discrimination at his previous employment that was so bad he had to resign. He is Caucasian and I, his wife, am African American. The employees including the asst. manager and manager were all making daily remarks about ni**ers and racial remarks. my husband and one other employee were the only ones who were offended and even informed them that he had a black wife. but they did not stop. when he resigned the other employee informed us of threats they were making to us. we had the employee who was still there to record what they were saying. we decided to pursue legal action and obtained an attorney.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Louisiana
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes. we had an attorney for both my husband and the employee who made the recordings because they also threatened him and was calling him names like ni**er lover, etc. however, recently he became very afraid and stop responding to us and our attorney so our attorney decided to terminate himself as our attorney.
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: Our attorney had filed some documents for us, but now since he has terminated himself from our case. we are left high and dry and do not have the endless funds to keep this case going like the company my husband worked for.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: we consulted an attorney who advised us to ask for the settlement agreement hearing to be moved forward and not to turn over the audio recordings. however the attorney for the plantiff stated that we had to give her the recordings. there were no depositions that had been taken as of yet and we do not want to give her the recordings before that was done because they prove that there was racism going on there for sure and by all parties who were accused.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

at this point, what can I answer for you about this situation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How/can we depose them without an attorney?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

You could ask the court to schedule an examination in court and arrange for a reporter to be present. The court would need to assist in scheduling the exam in court. It is not recommended though doing it without a lawyer taking the exam and ensuring procedurally it is done correctly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if my husbands name is ***** ***** name on the lawsuit and he will represent himself will I, his wife, be able to help him?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

You can assist him but you cannot formally participate, but you can serve as an assistant and informally help.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Kindly rate my answer positively.

Related Employment Law Questions