Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

I am interviewing two clinical faculty positions. but the

Customer Question

Hi, I am interviewing two clinical faculty positions. but the two hospitals shared my confidential interview information. Now one hospital retracted their offer to me because they didn't like the fact that I still interviewed with another hospital after I accepted their verbal offer. Although I didn't sign any written offer with this hospital yet and the other interview was scheduled before I got the verbal offer. The director in this hospital even called the other hospital lately. I was afraid the other hospital might retract their potential offer to me too. What shall I do now? Thanks very much indeed for your help!!
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please tell me what information did they specifically share between each other? This is important. For example - your past work history? Your criminal record? Etc.

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) This is his first email to me:
(Edited for privacy)
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

So, basically, hospitalA contacted hospitalB, which confirmed that you were negotiating with both hospitals. This caused you to possibly lose an offer with one of the hospitals. Correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
possibly an offer from the 2nd hospital as well
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times.

There is no law that states that the potential employers cannot share information about the candidate. So unless there was some kind of mutual non-disclosure clause (and likely there was not), they can call another hospital. If this happens, the other hospital has the right to decide to tell them that you may be applying to both, or, not. They chose to admit it.

The only kind of information they cannot share without consent is medical information (HIPAA), and, public disclosure of private facts (which is loosely defined, but normally pertains to that of intimate and domestic nature, not this).

As such, they broke no law. I am afraid that there is nothing you can do but to attempt to salvage the situation the best you can.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one hospital emailed me the official offer two days ago but they retracted it yesterday because they were unhappy I am also negotiating with the other hospital
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Did you see my above answer? I think your latest reply came right before/after I posted it.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.