Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was suppose to retire today. the Company me off on the

Customer Question
I was suppose to retire...
I was suppose to retire today. the Company Laid me off on the 20th. there is nothing in the
papers that states about my Pension. They compensated me with severance pay and Insurance. Should I sign the paper even though they don't have anything about my pension.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
6/30/2016
Employment Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Please note: (1) If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; and (2) I answer most questions within the hour. However, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and JA’s site disclaimers presented to you earlier. Finally, please remember to assign a feedback rating to close out the question.

Answer:

No, you have to be very careful as the severance papers may be drawn in a manner that requires you to waive all claims against the company whatsoever if you accept the severance and this feasibly could also include your right to collect a pension if that right was part of your employment agreement when you were hired or part of the company's employment policy.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer