How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Employment lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 42865
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I start collecting my OPERS at age 70 and half and still

Customer Question

Can I start collecting my OPERS at age 70 and half and still work under opers without retiring Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You can , there are some effects/restrictions here they are.

As an age and service retiree, you may become re-employed in an OPERS-covered position.

Re-employed retirees contribute to the

Money Purchase Plan

and contributions to OPERS must begin

from the first day of re-employment. You must complete, and your employer must certify, a

Notice of

Reemployment of an OPERS Benefit Recipient

by the end of your first month of employment. If you

become re-employed on a full-time basis by a public college or university, you will have the option of

choosing the

OPERS Money Purchase Plan or an Alternative Retirement Plan


In most instances, re-employed retirees will continue to receive their retirement allowance during

re-employment. However, if you become re-employed anytime within the first two months after your

retirement benefit effective date, you will forfeit your retirement allowance during this two-month


Contributions remitted during the two-month forfeiture period will not be included in the calculation

of a

Money Purchase Plan

benefit. This penalty will apply even if you waive your salary for this two-

month period or volunteer for the period of re-employment.

Forfeiture of your monthly benefit

payment will interrupt your retiree health care coverage as well.

While re-employed, your employer must provide your primary health care coverage if it is available

to other employees in comparable positions. You cannot waive the employer’s health care

coverage. See page 31 in the “Health Care Coverage” section for more information.

Upon termination of re-employment, you will be eligible to apply for either a refund of contributions

prior to age 65 or a

Money Purchase Plan

as a lump-sum refund or annuity benefit on and after age

65. If you elect to receive your

Money Purchase Plan

account prior to age 65, you will be entitled to

receive contributions and allowable interest paid in a lump sum. If you are married, spousal consent

is required for your refund to be issued.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

I truly appreciate the chance to help you today.I wish you the best with your retirement.Thanks again.