How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19179
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My last day of employment was 5/2/13 and I was never

Customer Question

My last day of employment was 5/2/13 and I was never reemployed by this co. I had unused PTO hours I had accumulated prior to 5/2/13. The co should have paid me at
termination for the PTO, but elected to pay me in 3 weekly increments after my last day of
work, I did not claim the checks as weeks worked as there were no work or earnings to claim. I was drawing unemployment at the time. I didn't like the way the employer paid me for the PTO. unemployment didn't understand the pto should have been paid at termination. I did appeal and the appeals referee determined I did not owe any money and
reversed the request. months passed and I never got billed until recently I got a bill from a collection agency for $ 903.00. I contacted collection to dispute as it was not a valid bill as the appeals referee reversed the ruling. What else can I do? It's been very
frustrating what else can I do? I have excellent credit and do not want to damage that.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

You are getting bills because the agency that determines these matters and the agency that collects are two different entities. They don't work well together (which is typical for Florida governmental entities).

All you can do is make contact with the collecting agency, demand that they certify the debt, that they not report your credit and then send them something from the referee (if you got paperwork) showing that you do not have to repay.

They are slow and ineffectual, but they will eventually get it right.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.