Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I am an Assistant teacher. There were several staff changes

Customer Question

I am an Assistant teacher. There were several staff changes at my school, so my Executive director offered a $5000 bonus if we completed the entire school year. I got very ill and had to be on bed rest for six weeks receiving short term disability. When I returned to work, I completed the remainder of the school year. On the last day of school when I asked for my bonus check, I was told that I wasn't eligible because I was absent for 6 weeks. How should I handle this situation and what rights do I have?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Was this an oral or written promise to pay a bonus? What was the specific statement the Executive Director made? Were there any qualifications in the statement, such as no missing X or ore amount of days during the school year?