How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 1503
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I put in my 2 week notice in. I quit because they have owed

Customer Question

I put in my 2 week notice in. I quit because they have owed me since feb, over 31 hours , close to 500 dollars . What kind of lawyer would I need to sue them ? I worked for them almost a year. Do I qualify for unemployment ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. My practice is limited to family law and appeals, but I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues, contract law, and other types of law. I also have written hundreds of legal articles. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site.

At the end of this discussion I'm going to ask you to please rate me as that's the only way I get credit for my time here today. Are you okay with rating me at the end of our discussion? Thanks!

Please also understand I am typing my answer to your question – usually a detailed answer – and I’ll be back to you asap.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

The best type of lawyer to get is an employment or labor lawyer. I can find a list of lawyers for you if you'd like, free of charge, as I do this for all of my customers here. Just let me know where in Ohio you are --biggest city or town, and I can send you a list of lawyers and let you know how to pick one.

Usually if you quit, you can't get unemployment. There are exceptions to this rule. He owed you money, which is not legal either because he cannot fail to pay his employees. So the labor board is not going to be happy with that.

However, here is what the law is in Ohio:

In Ohio, you may be eligible for unemployment even if you quit your last job. However, you must show that you had just cause to leave your job. This has been interpreted to mean that you must show that an ordinarily careful person in similar circumstances would have quit. Although this might not sound hard to prove, it can be very difficult to meet the state's definition.

If you resign, you may have to show that you made the employer aware of the problems and gave the employer sufficient opportunity to correct them before you quit. For example, if the employer owed you money, you may have to show the employer was aware of it.

You may have to show that you tried other options short of resigning. What other things could you have done? Probably nothing here, so you may have a shot at getting unemployment. It will not be easy to prove, but it can be done in the right circumstances. Hopefully, that includes yours.

Just let me know if you want me to find an employment lawyer for you in your area, and if so, I'd need the name of the town/city. I'm happy to help you!

Does this answer your question? If you need more information, let me know as I’m happy to give it.

I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. Kindly rate me positively so that I can get credit. It is no additional charge to you.

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. Thank you and best of luck to you!

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work.

Please let me know if you need any more information, such as where to find an attorney in your area, or anything else related to this question. Id' rather be rated positively and if I didn't answer all of your questions, I'd like to have a chance to make sure that I do. Thanks in advance for rating me.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you. Thanks!