Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was offered a position as a Group Team Lead in writing. Two weeks in I was asked to help out on a new business...

Customer Question
I was offered a position...
I was offered a position as a Group Team Lead in writing. Two weeks in I was asked to help out on a new business pitch which is out of the group I am hired to work in. I was then asked to see if I would be interested in moving to this new business role. I said NO but I will help out on one pitch to see if I like it. I was promised a job description but never received it. On 5/11/16 I had a meeting with my boss (in writing agenda to make sure this is all clear) to let her know I am not into this new business role. I was told an expedited search with HR would be underway to get a replacement.
On 5/23/16, I was given performance feedback and more than 1/2 of it was on this "new business role". I immediately said you can't give someone feedback on a role they are not hired to do with NO job description.Clear and accurate point was made. Other feedback received I don't contest.
I was told on June 3rd that my next review is going to be on July 8th and I am being reviewed "as a new biz ro
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
role". How is this possible? I was completely misled and I am now forced in a role I have no qualifications for and not hired for. HR is involved and I may ask them to see if another company in the network has a role. I have a good documentation trail here. I want the supervisor disciplined and I want all feedback on my review expunged.
6/22/2016
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, legally your employment is considered to be at will. This means the employer may assign you as necessary, even if they initially gave you a written offer for another job. So if the employer reassigned you and put you in a new role, they could terminate you, but the termination would be without good cause and that means you would be eligible for unemployment, but even if you were mislead, that would not be a basis for a suit against the employer if they do decide to terminate you. Such is the law regarding at will employment.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney