Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

State: County: Loudoun County Industry: Dental Office We have an employee manual that states work email is not for...

Customer Question
State: Virginia County: Loudoun County Industry: Dental...
State: Virginia
County: Loudoun County
Industry: Dental Office
We have an employee manual that states work email is not for personal use. Furthermore, states that email records are company property and practice reserves the right to monitor, access etc... email/internet activity.We found out that a former employee had set her email to forward all emails to her personal email address. She's been gone for over 4 months. So of course now, we are concerned that other team members may be doing the same thing. Our IT company has the ability to reset all passwords, so that we can access the emails and check their settings.My questions:
1: Do we have to notify the staff that we are resetting their email before it is done? We don't want to give them an opportunity to clear anything.
2: Can we require that after the reset, each staff member can reset their password, but they must provide their new password ***** management?Many thanks for the response
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
6/21/2016
Employment Lawyer: Ray, Employment lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

Let's go through these.

1: Do we have to notify the staff that we are resetting their email before it is done? We don't want to give them an opportunity to clear anything.No since this is in your manual there is no expectation of privacy here, it is company owned and for company purposes as per your manual policy,

2: Can we require that after the reset, each staff member can reset their password, but they must provide their new password ***** management?

Yes again it is company policy and manual states that, you have right to access password ***** as employer
and it is your equipment.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Ray, Employment lawyer