Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Is there a point at which employers have to give you full

Customer Question
time in Colorado, benefits I...
Is there a point at which employers have to give you full time in Colorado, benefits I mean
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I am curious what requirements there are to become full time because last I heard if you work 12 weeks in a row 40 hours a week you are required to be given full time benefits
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
6/21/2016
Employment Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 1 year ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Whether an employee is classified as full time or part time is determined by the employer.

(See: http://webapps.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/014.htm).

An employee handbook should have the details for what an employer's policies are for number of hours worked to qualify for full time benefits.

Issues such as the Affordable Care Act ("Obamacare") require employers to make determinations of compliance based on "Full Time Equivalents" - but this is a mathematical formula to determine employer liability under the act, not a requirement for determining which employees are considered full time.

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney