How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was terminated by a manager my disappointment in her

Customer Question

I was terminated by a manager for expressing my disappointment in her violation of policies she yelled at me and called me names in reference to my sexuality I called everyone I could think of in the company I work in Missouri the corporate office is in Iowa the company hasn't taken my complaints seriously and in fact most of the people I have called have not responded what should I do next
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of employment law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

Based on what you have shared with me, you have causes of action that could be filed in state court or go through the EEOC and end up in Federal Court. Both causes of action could result in your getting your job back and both could result in an award of damages and attorney fees.

First off, it is unlawful under the Civil Rights Act to discriminate based on race, gender, age, disability or sexual orientation. As such, you have a very good claim that you should file as soon as possible with the EEOC. The EEOC will look at the facts, investigate them and if they find merit, which they should, will allow you to sue in federal court for damages and attorney fees. You can also get your job back. This sounds like a very good discrimination case from a favorable ruling standpoint.

The company has also violated public policy, potentially, by terminating you on these grounds. Based on them violating their own policy, and in view of the subject matter, you have a cause of action for wrongful termination in you state court system.

I would go through the EEOC first and see how they rule on your matter and whether a right to sue letter is issued. If it is not, then I would sue in state court. If it is issued, I would sue in federal court.

In either respect, based on what you have shared with me, you have a strong case.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Please also rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE STARS) on the ratings bar on your end so I can receive credit for my response from the site.

Thank you and best wishes!

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Any other questions?

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any other questions or comments? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in one last time to make sure you are good to go. Let me know if you need anything. Thanks