Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

What should my next steps be when contacted by my employer of 12 years that an investigation is occurring...

Customer Question
What should my next steps...
What should my next steps be when contacted by my employer of 12 years that an investigation is occurring, I'm placed on administrative leave, I need to turn in my badge, I need permission to be on any campus, I may be meeting tomorrow and no information was given to me about what this is regarding? Do I need to obtain legal counsel?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
6/16/2016
Employment Lawyer: Attorney2020, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer

Legal counsel could be obtained and you have a right to bring legal counsel with you. You should at least demand that you have due process and know what it is you are being called in for or investigated for so that you can be prepared. Otherwise, there is nothing you could do other than show up and simply wait and see what they say and respond to those questions you feel comfortable with responding to.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When asked twice, I was told nothing could be communicated to me at this time. Do I have a right to wait to meet until they tell what this is regarding? I don't want to just show up and be blindsided.

You don't necessarily have a clear legal right to wait but arguably a constitutional due process right to wait. Perhaps bring an attorney along with you would prevent any attempt to intimidate you. Or show up and simply listen and then request to speak with an attorney before you answer any questions which may be the most prudent route at this time.

Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Attorney2020
Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer