Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Im a teacher in seattle. Ive enjoyed teaching kindergarten excellent rapport with families including having siblings...

Customer Question
Im a teacher in seattle...
Im a teacher in seattle. Ive enjoyed teaching kindergarten excellent rapport with families including having siblings for the last 8 years. Until this year parent drama!
JA: Issues like this can be complex. Fortunately, the attorneys we work with have a lot of experience in education law and it would be my pleasure to match you with the one who's the best fit.
Customer: Parent started rumors about my teaching. (Scores are excellent, her childs scores were good). Complained to principal, removed her child to a different school and now bringing him back for first grade. By the way only african american teacher in the school. Another parent did the same thing without explanation. Only said She was uncomfortable on the day she came to pick up her childs things. The first parent wrote a letter saying her childs behavior at home was challenging after being in my class for several months "he no longer ate rasberries, did well in pre school but now having problems. Principal took her side. Student had never been in trouble at school. Very wealthy tight community. Help. This has got to stop. I got very sick from the stress and couldnt work for almost 3 months.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Ive seen the bullying of teachers go on for too long. I stay late and enjoy making a difference. My student scores are excellent every year. The district did not support me. Also i gotba note on my car last week telling me not to park on the "public" street after 4:30. "This is not my parking spot. I could park on another street"( im wearing a cast from foot surgery as well. The other three teachers dod not get the note. I believe cultural issues are an prevalent.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
6/16/2016
Employment Lawyer: FamilyAttorney, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
FamilyAttorney

Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. My practice is limited to family law and appeals, but I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues, contract law, and other types of law. I also have written hundreds of legal articles. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site.

At the end of this discussion I'm going to ask you to please rate me as that's the only way I get credit for my time here today. Are you okay with rating me at the end of our discussion? Thanks!

Please also understand I am typing my answer to your question – usually a detailed answer – and I’ll be back to you asap.

Can you tell me what the school principal did by taking the side of the parent? How did that manifest itself - did the principal issue a warning or anything like that? Were you treated differently than other teachers in this situation?

Unless you can show that the issue with parking was done by the principal or other higher-ups such as assistant principal, there won't be anything we can do about parking, but you can certainly bring that issue up to the school. What I'm addressing is any different treatment caused by the administration. Thanks for this information.

Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as your previous contributor has to opted out.
First off, the complaints of parents and the principal allowing them to move the children from your class, would not necessarily be legally actionable. The school may allow parents the right to change teachers for any reason at all, since this change is not considered an employment action against you. Having two children moved from your class for any reason based on a parent complaining is not something that is legally actionable, I am sorry, unless you were actually disciplined or terminated and suffered a loss of wages as a result.
However, if you were legally parked on the street and the principal or someone else from authority within the employer tried to stop you from parking there and it was done to you based on your race, that would be sufficient to sue the employer for racial discrimination regardless of what happened with the students during the year.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney