Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Currently Site Manager for a cleaning company at an industrial facility. Hourly employees call corporate on minor issues.

Customer Question
Currently Site Manager for a...
Currently Site Manager for a cleaning company at an industrial facility. Hourly employees call corporate on minor issues. They have complained enough in past that previous 3 site managers were terminated. Non lasted over 2 months. I have been here 6 months. Now the hourly are calling corporate on me. If terminated do I have any recouse?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
6/15/2016
Employment Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to assisting you.

South Carolina is an "at will" employment state, meaning that unless an employee has an employment contract or collective bargaining agreement, they are subject to termination at any time, for any reason, or no reason at all. The law only affords protection against being terminated for an unlawful reason (e.g., discrimination due to things like race, religion, or disability, or violations of public policy, such as being fired for serving on jury duty).

Now, if the employees make false statements about you that get you terminated, you may have a claim against them for defamation of character.

Dd you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Oitherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars,as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating.Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer