How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 29983
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am retired & receive a pension from the University of

Customer Question

I am retired & receive a pension from the University of Missoluri. Is that monthly pension subject to garnishment should I default on a mortgage payment, do a deed in lieu back to the mortgage company? Can any other creditor garnish any part of that pension?
If the pension is subject to garnishment, would it help to establish a trust of some sort so the pension was paid to the trust rather than directly to my name?
I also receive a monthly social security check. Is that subject to garnishment?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma.

Pensions and social security are exempt from garnishment for most kind of debts. The exception is monies owed to the federal government, alimony, and child support. The bank that has your mortgage will not be able to take your pension or social security if you fall behind on payments. They will be able to foreclose, but they won't have any ability to collect extra money from you. As part of foreclosure, they're entitled to their attorney's fees, so you still may not be able to keep the current equity in the home.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. It is very helpful. One further question, in case of a divorce would it be smart to establish a trust of some sort & have the pension paid to the trust in order to not have it subject to alimony should a divorce occur?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

In the event of a divorce, your spouse would be able to get a court order that requires the pension company to direct some portion of your pension to her, based on how long you're married and how long you worked for the company during the marriage. A trust wouldn't allow you to avoid that, because your pension is considered a marital asset, as is any pension or retirement accounts your spouse has.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?

Related Employment Law Questions