Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My employer is requesting that I need to confirm my patients

Customer Question
appointments at home with my...
My employer is requesting that I need to confirm my patients appointments at home with my cell phone off the clock. He states that he feel that it is important that they (my patients) hear from me personally but I make to much on an hourly bases to get paid for such a task. How can I position myself without getting fired?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Other than the fact that he's having his management team and other Doctors reinforce this directives.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
6/15/2016
Employment Lawyer: Ray, Employment lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight.

Here if you are an hourly employee they have to pay you when you are working.Phone calls to clients are considered work.You would report this as a wage complaint and seek to be paid here.The DOL will investigate and employer can be fined here and you are due back pay.The DOL will get you paid here and force him to stop this.They cannot work you like this and not pay you.

Here is where to file to get paid

https://www.dol.gov/wecanhelp/howtofilecomplaint.htm

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and the best here.

An employer who requires or permits an employee to work overtime is generally required to pay the employee premium pay for such overtime work. Employees covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) must receive overtime pay for hours worked in excess of 40 in a workweek of at least one and one-half times their regular rates of pay. The FLSA does not require overtime pay for work on Saturdays, Sundays, holidays, or regular days of rest, unless overtime hours are worked on such days.

Ray, Employment lawyer