How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12623
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm very confused .i have been working with this company 24

Customer Question

i'm very confused .i have been working with this company 24 yrs and i was getting payroll as a employee,but when one of the bosses closed his business here,i worked the same hrs and job,but now they show me as a 1099,and it has been hard on me because i get full amount without taxes but don't understand why i have to pay self employment taxes
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

It is not inherently illegal to reclassify a worker from employee to contractor status. However, not just anyone can be a contractor. The job duties must fit within certain requirements, which you can review here. If you believe that your job duties do not support contractor classification, your remedy is to contact the Texas Workforce Commission. You can contact them by email at***@******.***, or by phone at(###) ###-#### If you contact the TWC by phone, you can make your report anonymously.

It is illegal to retaliate against a worker because he or she questioned their status as an independent contractor. So, any adverse employment action which you can link to the filing of your complaint with give rise to an entirely separate legal claim for damages.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.