How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 33554
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a female psychiatrist working in a PPG years.One male

Customer Question

I am a female psychiatrist working in a PPG for 6 years.One male partner has worked with me for 4 years and his income has been higher based on his stating salary and not just on bonus compensation.Then another male peer was hired 1 year ago with a higher base salary and a better bonus incentive,(He actually told me the specifics of his contract),I am angry. I work harder than my 2 partners- more hours-and although I make a good living,my new partner has to see fewer patients to make his baseline salary {which is higher than mine}AND he will earn more in bonuses because the requirement to make his salary is lower than mine by the equivalent of 600 RVU,.The PPG doesn,t like to be transparent about salaries,but I have hard facts now.Should I seek legal council? Seems a violation of the EEO act...
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You definitely want to talk to a lawyer that does Employment Law. You can find one at and in the section for Area of Practice enter Employment Law. That website also lets you search by location so you can find one close by.

It is hard to prove gender discrimination based on one salary alone since it is always possible for an employer to offer an excuse as to why one employee is paid lower than a peer. The way these cases are "made" is to show a pattern of discrimination and where the employer pays one gender less than another on a regular basis.

This can be done through the discovery process and getting paperwork showing they do this over and over. Of course, as you can image, it is a lot of work to find this out but it is certainly do-able.

Also, as with any discrimination case based on membership in a protected class you have to file a charge of discrimination with the EEOC and allow them a chance to investigate. At some point they will either 1) file a lawsuit on your behalf or 2) send you a "right to sue letter". If you don't file with the EEOC then your case will be dismissed as you will have "failed to exhaust all administrative remedies".

You have a short time period in which to file with the EEOC, as short as 180 days in some situations, so you want to meet with a lawyer quickly. The lawyer may even want to be involved with the EEOC filing, possibly just to look over the paperwork to be sure you don't phrase something incorrectly or in a way that can hurt you later.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of something else.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I think that I have my answer.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.


Best wishes to you and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.