Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I own TESCo Janitorial Company. I an 68 and need to reduce

Customer Question
my activity on a daily...
I own TESCo Janitorial Company. I an 68 and need to reduce my activity on a daily basis so I am going to lease my company to a 15 year old janitorial. I will do all the billing, and receivables which are already set up in quickBooks. I will also try to increase the size of TESco by doing some selling. What this means that now I won't need my office manager of 16 years. Wonderful employee but not enough to pay her $50.000 including benefits. How I approach her with the news of being fired. TomMigchell.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
6/9/2016
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Legally speaking, employment in Kansas is "at will" absent an agreement to the contrary, which means the employment relationship can be terminated at any time, with or without advance notice, and without the payment of severance. You simply need to inform the employee you are letting them go. Legally, you can inform her in writing, over the telephone, or in person--it is completely up to you.

The above noted, for an employee of 16 years it is the decent thing to let them go in person, and to provide two weeks notice so that they have time to look for another job. It's not a legal requirement, it's just the courteous thing to do for an employee who has spent so long working for you. It would also be the decent thing to provide the employee with a letter of recommendation along with an explanation that they were let go only due to office restructuring and not because of any performance related issues.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further. If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Were you able to view my answer? Is there anything more I can do to assist you? Please kindly let me know.....

Best,

Patrick

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer