How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 2129
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband was offered a job to work in a different state in

Customer Question

My husband was offered a job to work in a different state in which myself and our children lived in. He was already living and working in this different state and was ready to leave and come home. He was offered a manager type position and was told he would live and work in a certain area that he would run. My husband left his then current job and began working for the other company that offered full benefits and whom was paying monthly hotel bills for him to have a place to stay. He would then come home every two weeks then go back. The company then started threatening to fire him if he did not find a place to stay he said to them that he had a family and that he did not want to live separate from us for too much longer. They then offered to pay to relocate his family paying the moving company and plane tickets and down payment for an apartment. He accepted. We all moved to this state and city with no family and me unemployed. Well I did get a job but got pregnant and quit do to a risky pregnancy. My husband also learned that the position they was offered to him was already offered to someone else in a different location. So we were stuck and had to deal with it. So to cut this short my husband got terminated for reckless driving without there being proof he was already on probation for a fender bender in the company car but they just terminated him without proof of reckless driving. We lost our medical benefits and I was three weeks away from a scheduled C-Section. We had to get on welfare and almost put out of our apartment. And a downward spiral of low paying jobs and dealing with welfare and government medical assistance. I want to know if we can sue for emotional distress?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry to hear this. Only in cases where there was harassment or discrimination do judges give emotional distress type damages. I do not see that you would be eligible for those type of damages unfortunately. Unfortunately, employment is typically at will so a company can pretty much fire a person anytime with or without cause.

I do understand your problems, but I think a lawsuit would not work out in your favor.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any additional questions otherwise a positive rating of our assistance is appreciated.