How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19169
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is Craig. Until the end of 2013, I was a horse

Customer Question

My name is***** the end of 2013, I was a horse racing announcer and I am looking to return to this industry.
I have discovered a prominent announcer (A) has told another announcer (B) I was fired from two jobs and "run out of town" from a third job. Announcing and the decision makers involved are a small community and this is very damaging. It is demonstrably not true and I am not sure who else he may have told.
I have the snapshots of text messages from A to B as evidence. (Given to me by person B)
Person A who works at a well known track (therefore is thought by many to be a credible person) had no reason to say these things.
I would like him to stop, discover who he has told, redress who he has told and/or look at suing for character defamation.
Incidentally, I am in AZ and he is in FL.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

You would have a good claim of defamation of character. However, finding out who has been told can be very difficult, because he isn't going to volunteer that information. Perhaps, after a trial, it might be possible as part of the judgment for him to be required to list those told and to then notify them that the statements were not true.

But that is some time from now. You first have to file a suit, get through the discovery process during that suit, and most importantly, establish the financial damages from the defamation.

This is a dying lawsuit form, because it is so difficult and expensive to even try to establish the damages. Most people can't establish, with certainty, enough damages to make the cost of the trial worth while. This is why you might want to consider first just using a "cease and desist" letter from an attorney (a limited engagement, so the cost can be controlled). Such a letter would certainly threaten a suit, which would most likely get the person to stop making these false statements.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.