How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 116716
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I seek medical help abuse, does the facility/Doctor or

Customer Question

If I seek medical help for substance abuse, does the facility/Doctor or insurance company have to notify my employer? I want to preserve my job and privacy.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under HIPAA, the federal law regarding medical privacy, the doctor or the rehab facility cannot notify anyone about your condition without your express written consent. The doctor can give information only to your insurance company, but they cannot disclose the information either, as they too are prevented from doing so without your written consent under HIPAA.