Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

If I seek medical help abuse, does the facility/Doctor or

Customer Question
If I seek medical help...
If I seek medical help for substance abuse, does the facility/Doctor or insurance company have to notify my employer? I want to preserve my job and privacy.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
6/6/2016
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under HIPAA, the federal law regarding medical privacy, the doctor or the rehab facility cannot notify anyone about your condition without your express written consent. The doctor can give information only to your insurance company, but they cannot disclose the information either, as they too are prevented from doing so without your written consent under HIPAA.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney