How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 9368
Experience:  Since 1983
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was employed at Northwestern Telephone Company from

Customer Question

Hi, I was employed at Northwestern Bell Telephone Company from 1967-1977, so I was told after 10 yrs. I get a pension. When I wrote to them, they gave me this very confusing garbage about I was not 22 until 1977, therefore I didn't get my 10 yrs in! I said NO ONE TOLD ME that mt pension time didn't start until I was 22! I would have worked elsewhere! Now I am 66, & I desperately need it. No one told me-the union said they make it really confusing & have all kinds of rules but we are not told. I do have a page of their rules for you to see. Thanks, Kathleen. How much is it to bring this in & speak to someone-I have to be honest-I HATE texting-love to TALK!I should tell you, I worked in Minnesota at the time-do I have to see an attorney THERE???
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

If the contract was made under Minnesota law in Minnesota, the Court will apply Minnesota law to the case, but that does not necessarily mean the case has to be filed in Minnesota. If the company has enough contacts in Illinois, it can be sued there.

You may have the option of suing in either State or federal court, see

You can get a free consultation from some of the Minnesota pension attorneys listed by location here.

I imagine a Minnesota lawyer in more likely to be familiar with the specific pension plan that you were in than a lawyer in Illinois, but pension law is largely federal law anyway so if you prefer to consult an Illinois attorney, you can find them here.

You need an attorney to read all the relevant documents including correspondence between you and the company and union and the actual pension plan documents. If there is an ambiguity in the pension plan, it is interpreted against the party who caused it (usually the company and/or the union).

Please follow up on this with an attorney.

I hope this information is helpful.

Related Employment Law Questions