How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

NAME: MARGARITA CASTILLO formerly Margarita de la Torre.

Customer Question

NAME: MARGARITA CASTILLO formerly Margarita de la Torre.
email: ***@******.***
I worked as a foreign national employee for the American Consulate General in Guayaquil, Ecuador from July 1967 through June 1983. My name at the time was Margarita de la Torre. I went through several positions and when I resigned I was a National Supervisor for the Consular Section. I left my job then because my husband and family wanted to return to US. During the period of my employment, the Consulate General did not contribute nor registered any employees to the local Ecuadorean Social Security. I never thought much of this at the time, I know later the Consulate did register all its employees with the local Social Security. Like I said I never thought too much of this then, but I realize now that those were sixteen (16 years worked for which I have nothing to show) neither in Ecuador or here in the US, where I am currently residing. It is now, that I realize that my Social Security benefits for the years I did work back here (total aprroximately 13 years) provides me with a pension of $745 a month, third year no increase and costs of living going up, it is very hard to make it. Why did I not get any credit fo those 16 years? Could there be any help for me? Any suggestions of comments will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you worked in the US and your employer did pay into Social Security for you for at least 10 years, then you are eligible to still apply for benefits and should at least be eligible for all of the years you worked where your employer paid into the US Social Security system for you. So, you need to provide evidence of your 16 years of employment where you said the consulate did register and pay into the US Social Security system for you, even if they did not pay into the Ecuador system, and you need to get US SSA to recalculate your benefits based on those additional years.

Related Employment Law Questions