Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

While talking to my Boss, she said something that caught my attention. She said' I just don't want you here" I told...

Customer Question
While talking to my Boss...
While talking to my Boss, she said something that caught my attention. She said ' I just don't want you here" I told her okay well you just fired me without good reason. She then said, "I didn't fire you, you quit" I asked her when I had said that, and she said. " I have it recored." I asked her to please let me hear the recording because I was not aware that she had recored our phone conversation. I also wanted to hear it because I never said I quit. She said no to my request to listen to the recording. I also asked her if I was to bring my employment lawyer in, then would she let us hear it? She also said no to that. What happens if she doesn't really have it recording but said she did. Would that be considered a threat? To me it seemed like she was trying to threaten me. Also I have proof, that one of her employees is asking to buy drugs off other employees, however when she was told she said it wasn't her problem. Is that illegal or is she allowed to say that?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
6/4/2016
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
No, I am afraid that she does not have to let you hear the recording, even if you bring your attorney in. However, you need to file an unemployment claim and if the employer objects trying to claim you quit THAT IS WHEN your attorney can force her to produce the tape and prove what they claim you said.
Under MT law, unless you have a written employment contract to the contrary, the employer did not need good cause to terminate you because employment is at will. An at will employee may be fired for no reason at all or for any reason that is not solely based on the employee's age/race/sex/disability/national origin and the employee's sole recourse is filing for unemployment.
Thus, if you were an at will employee, they can fire you without any reason. If they try to deny you unemployment claiming you quit, then in the unemployment appeal hearing you would be able to force them to present proof that you quit.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What if my employer is informed about an Employee trying to buy drugs such as Marijuana, and when told, she said it wasn't her problem.

Thank you for your reply.

That is up to your employer as to what action to take about any report you make to the employer.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney