How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son in law works as a jailer in a city were a sheriff

Customer Question

My son in law works as a jailer in a city were a sheriff election is going on and is caught in a political mess.The current sheriff caught him texting the one that is running again him.They arrested him saying he brought contraband a lighter into an inmate which he says he never did .They told him if he gives his phone to them no charges will be filed they released him told him to come to work as usual and only tell people he was doing a college experiment.Every night he goes to work they tell him he's gonna be in trouble if he don't text the other so they can see the conversation what can be done
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
This is a false arrest and grounds for your son to notify the FBI, as these types of Gestapo tactics are illegal in the US. It is also malicious prosecution if they try to charge him and take him to trial. Your son needs to get an attorney, because the sheriff knows he is violating your son's civil rights and is trying to intimidate him not to take action against them. If this is a small town, which it sounds as though it could be, your son needs a civil rights attorney from outside of the area to take this on as your son can sue this sheriff for damages.
Furthermore this is something that your son may want to clue in the opposition about, since arresting someone for contacting a political opponent is a violation of civil rights and it is grounds to sue this sheriff for damages for their conduct.