Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was accused of smoking on break with another worker at a restaurant job. I told my employer that I would take...

Customer Question
I was accused of smoking...
I was accused of smoking weed on break with another worker at a restaurant job. I told my employer that I would take a drug test because I did not smoke weed. They refused. I told them that they were making a mistake that I wasn't doing anything wrong. At the end believe it or not I signed a statement saying that " I was involved in clandestine activities in the back of the restaurant" not realizing exactly what I was signing and thinking that it was a separation document. After the shock of getting fired wore off a little bit I realized what I had just done. This was done today. Can I legally rescind what I just signed? Again, I can and will pass a drug test. This happened in CT Thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
6/2/2016
Employment Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

There's not really a way to "legally rescind" something like what you are describing. However, what you can do is have a local lawyer send them a letter (perhaps with a copy of a negative drug screen) and a letter stating it is rescinded as you were under duress. The lawyer will know how to word it so that if you have to go to court for anything it can be used to your advantage. Most lawyers won't charge much for this and it is well worth the investment should you need it.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer