Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.
63724254

I left a software company and started a design and

Customer Question

I left a software company and started a design and consulting company that uses former companies software. I have contacted some of customers that I worked with from that company. Now I have received email threatening legal suit. I did not sign a No Compete.
They are stating I stole trade secrets and customer list. I am not sell the software just helping their customers with support. What should I do next?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.

A individual cannot take another company's proprietary software and use it for their own company. If the software is available on the open market, then you are not breaching any duties if you bought the software on the open market. What is the company requesting in their letter.

A person cannot contact prior customers that it worked with for purposes of developing business. However, a person cannot take a company's proprietary customer list and use it for their own business.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.