How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Employment lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 41634
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work in Massachusetts. My company has been through a major

Customer Question

I work in Massachusetts. My company has been through a major reorg, with significant team members given severance. I have been moved from a Program Manager role in the Projects function to supervising IT systems - which is not suitable to my knowledge or background (...or interest). I have been told I am not eligible for severance as by policy I must accept any position that is comparable as defined by HR. After meeting with HR yesterday I was told that "comparable" is defined by 1) same location 2) same pay. Which were met in both cases. Do I have any option other than accept the new position?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

Sorry about your situation here.You really don't have many options here.If you don't take it they can fire you which leaves you with nothing.If you do decide to quit here, you can take a one day job with friend, relative, neighbor to file, clean, mow , whatever.Then you list them as last temporary job and this gets you around the tech employer.

Honestly I would take the job here, look for a new one while you are in the job.It is possible they will offer you severance at some point or you find new employer.Those are the options I see here, accept it while looking for another one, quit and do the one day job so you can file for UI benefits, those are the possibilities.Also if you have a noncompete that also complicates this here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have more follow up, i know this can all be overwhelming here.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

File EEOC complaint here.

Just wanted to add that as an option if it applies here.Thanks again.

Related Employment Law Questions