How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 3987
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was cited 7102 illegal vehicle + 7103 No LADOT taxi driver

Customer Question

I was cited for lamc 7102 illegal vehicle for hire + 7103 No LADOT taxi driver permit. I have a notice to appear tomorrow .I've already got my van out of storage. The investigator for Department of Transportation said they are releasing my vehicle because it was the first time and I'm not a repeat offender. What happened was I was approached by a man with suitcases asking for a ride to the airport I was coming out of the McDonald's and he was at the exit. I was taking a break before going back to work. It was at the McDonald's on Manchester and Airport Boulevard. I told the guy do you have the Lyft app because I have the sign on my windshield. I work part-time as a Lyft driver. Then he asked how much how much is it I should have said I can't quote a price or I can do it for free but I said you can give me 10 to $15 . That's when the police car came around the corner and somebody jumped in my car drove it around a corner and they put me in the back of the police car. And then they brought me to an area where they were processing other people for the same thing. All of us were getting our cars towed. What can I expect the court to offer me? What should I say or not say to the judge? And will I get community service or fine or both? Where can I get the case dropped
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.


Please bear with me as I verify something for you.

Kind regards,


Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

You are looking a fines (Not Jail Time). You have already paid the impound fees to retrieve your vehicle. The Court will Order you to cease and desist and assess a fine and court costs. Since this is a first offense you are likely looking at a fines of about $500.00 to $1,000.00 plus court costs of about $200.00 or so. You possibly may be given probation for a short time to make sure you do not repeat the offense.

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible to get community service and to get a continuance to pay the fines. I spend all my extra money getting my van out of the tow yard. The amount was $758. Will the court be lenient because of the high storage cost on my car.?
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Go to court early and meet with the prosecuting attorney and see if you can negotiate a reduced penalty and/or payment plan.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My notice to appear says go to the court clerk at 8:30 a.m. on June 1st which is tomorrow morning. There is no courtroom number so what will it be possible to just settle this with the court Clerk?
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.

No the clerk lacks authority to settle this. The process is a bit of a "cattle call." You will be one of many waiting to be called to appear before the judge. Even if you settle with the prosecutor you have to stay so that the judge can approve the agreement.

I'm sorry but you can expect a long day. I hate to be the one to give you this bad news, but you are better off knowing what to expect.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get the court room number from the clerk when I get there tomorrow morning?
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Yes. When you arrive they will tell you where to go.

Kind regards,