How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 8184
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was a shareholder of a construction company, that I helped

Customer Question

I was a shareholder of a construction company, that I helped set up by using my sole proprietorship, which I maintained. While the corporation was operating it did a public works project that required union labor for a percentage of the job. The company provided the union labor and although broke even went out of business approximately 8 months later. A year after we successfully completed the job, and about 4 months after closing the business the industrial labor department Did an audit of the certified payroll and found a minor discrepancy in one of the Code assignments so we continued to dialog via email. Month later, an ex employee of the out of business corporation picked up some mail from the closed office, and took it to her new office (new job). In the mail was a certified letter slip from Industrial Relations Department, which she signed, recieved the letter and returned to her new job. At no time was myself or any of the other ex shareholders notified or made aware of this letter. The ex employee later admitted that she picked up the letter but forgot about it. Months later I received a letter from industrial relations Department, State of California, that my sole proprietorship contractors lic. Was suspended and we owed the state of California 26,000. For a 399.00 labor rate error because we did not respond to a letter we were completely unaware of. Now they expect me to pay them 19,000. Up front before they will in suspend my contractors Lic. I am a 67 year old man, been in business over 30 years and I was just trying to help my family. Now I am loosing everything, I have no retirement, income, etc. what do I do???? Please help me
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 1 year ago.
Good Evening, Thanks for using JustAnswer. Have you been in contact with the Industrial Labor Dept.?