How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask hrpro37 Your Own Question
hrpro37, Sr. Director, Human Resources
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 119
Experience:  10+ years of experience in human resources roles with a specialization in employment law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
hrpro37 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am employed at a non-profit as a mental health therapist

Customer Question

I am employed at a non-profit as a mental health therapist and the agency I work for has made such unrealistic demands that it has caused emotional harm and I had no choice but to put in my letter of resignation as a result. My co-workers feel the same, but I feel like I have been targeted and this dysfunctional work-environment has caused a lot of emotional distress.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: this is Pennsylvania
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet, but I wanted to see if I had a case.
JA: Is there anything else the Employment Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I have worked there nearly 6 months and have tolerated many criticisms on the job and demands that are unlike anything I have experienced in this field in 8 years. We recently had a meeting where another employee had written an email wanting all the therapists to join and was forced to delete and have all employees delete because it incriminated the agency. Do I have a case? I have been seeing psychiatrist prior to this, but there has been an increase in dosage recently and have experienced a lot of physiological symptoms.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 1 year ago.
Good Evening, Thanks for using JustAnswer. According to the Americans with Disabilities Act you are required to be provided with reasonable accommodation for any disability. Employers are also not legally allowed to create a hostile work environment at any time. You mentioned that you have already resigned. Did you attempt to resolve the hostile situation prior to resigning? For example, did you speak to your supervisor or another authority figure about your concerns? If so, you could very well have a potentially strong legal case. Thank you, Amber
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I have emails from supervisors that are highly critical and the everyday grind of being there is very difficult. I have voiced my concerns and they continue to micromanage to the point of bringing down morale so low that it is putting us therapists in a very anxious place in terms of job stability. I have documentation of speaking up and it is articulate and there are insincere apologies followed by more criticism of my work, which has been commended at other jobs in terms of paperwork.They put added stress on me by making me pass an exam within 6 months of employment or I am terminated. It is the general consensus at where I work that administration is driving the employees out with their practices. There haven't been any threats, but it is how they conduct their agency through their conduct that has caused me emotional harm and was forced to resign.I continue to work there until June 17th, but it is not a positive work environment.
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 1 year ago.
My suggestion to you would be to speak with your supervisor in an official capacity (set up an official meeting or send an email) and let them know that you feel that you are being subjected to a hostile work environment. You can also ask for a reasonable accommodation if needed such as additional breaks or an altered work schedule. If your employer does not comply with your request, the hostility continues, or they retaliate against you for making a claim of a hostile work environment you can file a claim for free with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission at you, Amber (please don't forget to rate me!)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am beyond trying to communicate with them. They are intolerant and the pressures have forced me to quit. Do I have a case, or does it have to be direct hostility? That is my concern. I know that their handling of situations have been damaging and this has raised my anxiety and depression and forced me to resign. I don't know if I have a strong enough case, but I wanted to check to see if something can be done.
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 1 year ago.
I am afraid that in my opinion, you wouldn't have a strong case for wrongful termination or hostile work environment unless you specifically request a change (accomodation) in the workplace and bring the hostility to the attention of someone in the organization who can correct it. I do wish you luck and keep in mind that you can file an EEOC claim for free if you feel you have been discriminated against.