Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I am a catholic priest. My diocese has a retirement system.

Customer Question

I am a catholic priest. My diocese has a retirement system. We retire at 75. I have been a priest of the same parish for 37 years. I have been advised by a psychiatrist to retire. Can the bishop hold my retirement until 75 or lever me into staying past age 75? I know this sounds like a crazy situation but he has in the past refused to pay retirement forcing people to stay past 75
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** be happy to answer your question.I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation. Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, asthis services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice/legal service you should contact a local attorney.How old are you now?Does the retirement system allows for an early retirement due to a documented disability?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
72
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really do not know. All I know is that we are supposed to retire at 75 but can at 70 if the Bishop agrees. In the past he has not agreed with anyone to retire at 70. If a psychiatrist advised me to retire now do I have a chance to do so?
Thank you for your follow up.What is the mental condition based on which psychiatrist is recommending for you to retire?Have you received a written recommendation from your psychiatrist to retire?Are you able to appeal any decision made by the bishop to someone who is in the position above him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bi-polar disorder
No, the psychiatrist has discussed it with me.
Yes, to Rome which could take years,
Thank you for your follow up.Is the retirement plan / policy in writing and do you have a copy of the written retirement plan document?