How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Employment lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 42189
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently employed at Sava Senior care as a full time

Customer Question

I am currently employed at Sava Senior care as a full time Social Worker (40)hr and there is a director of SW (40)hr. I have worked there for 4 1/2 yrs. The company has just cut the job to 1 full time director of SW and now only a part time SW. I do not want the director position and I cannot live off of 20hrs a week. My job is gone. How much advanced notice do they have to give me that my job is gone and does it need to be on paper? Can I get unemployment d/t them cutting my job? I'm not sure what to expect from them. The only reason I know about the cut is because I went and asked. Don't know when it will occur but they are bringing in a woman on the 25th to educate on the director job before my boss's last day. Please in form..thanks Marcia
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA.Ray here to help you today. You can try to make a deal maybe some severance and they agree not to dispute UI claim.You would want that in writing.I would seek maybe month to six weeks severance.They don't have to give you any specific notice here and if they offer you part time job they are really trying to avoid calling it a layoff and pay you any severance or UI benefits.I would try to negotiate now and see if they will agree with you. If you are not offered any deal I suggest you take a one day job cleaning a friends house or raking leaves, filing, and then go ifle and list it as your last job as a one day temporary one.This gets the friend to receive the employer response and gets the Senior Care out of it.See what you can negotiate here, if you have to then do the one day job before you file for UI and avoid problems with them.You appear ot have the wages on file the one day job makes friend your last employer. I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again and the best to you.