Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am the senior security supervisor years at the Fulton Fish

Customer Question
I am the senior security...
I am the senior security supervisor for 10 years at the Fulton Fish Market.
I am the only black supervisor.
I am treated disrespectfully ***** ***** my write ups of an employee breaking rules the require dismissal.
I have now been placed in a guard booth that should have a security guard manning.
The Security director, insults, disrespects, and although my HR file clearly states my seniority, simply based on the fact that I have first pick of vacations, the director continues to treat me in a way that I would not treat any employee.
I am a retired NYPD Sgt.. I ran Auto Larceny, and lead the BNTF ( Brooklyn North Ask Force).
I was present for the 1993 World Trade Center bombing. I served my country in Vietnam Nam.
The Director has limited credentials from his service to the NYPD as a traffic supervisor.
If feel there is resentment as I am a by the book supervisor.
The director takes care and covers for those who do personal favors for him. Not job Related.
I took a bad fall last October due to the lack of road maintenance . Grease left caused me to take a serious fall. I am able to supervise with little remaining discomfort most days.
However I have now been moved to sit outside either in a booth or my vehicle doing a non supervisory job.
I have not received any increase in salary for over three years while the only other security supervisor hired after me is earning more. The supervisor is more of a buddy to the boss. The security director is aware that I found this supervisor drunk and passed out years ago when I reported to work. I was the one shunned.
As a result the director likes to tell me that I am not a supervisor, I am a security guard if he wants me to be.
I have a mortgage to pay and a wife, otherwise I would have left. They know clearly that I am honest and would not do anything illegal, or treat anyone without the respect I would expect.
I need help, need a better environment to work in.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
5/22/2016
Employment Lawyer: FamilyAttorney, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
FamilyAttorney
Hello. I’m a licensed NY attorney with 36 years’ experience. I specialize in family law and appeals, and I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues, employment and contract law. I also have written hundreds of legal articles. I look forward to helping you today.Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. Oh, at the end of this session, I will ask you to please rate me as that’s the only way I get credit for helping you today. Thanks! Please note: I want to help you but I may need some additional information from you.
Your wife is correct on this one. This appears to be blatant discrimination and is illegal, by federal law and by state law. Under Federal Law, the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission):Race discrimination involves treating someone (an applicant or employee) unfavorably because he/she is of a certain race or because of personal characteristics associated with race (such as hair texture, skin color, or certain facial features). Color discrimination involves treating someone unfavorably because of skin color complexion.The Federal law forbids discrimination when it comes to any aspect of employment, including hiring, firing, pay, job assignments, promotions, layoff, training, fringe benefits, and any other term or condition of employment. NY State law is similar, so you are protected by federal and by state law. NY State law says:Race discrimination happens when an employer makes employment decisions based on your race instead of your skills or how well you do your job. Race discrimination also happens when your employer has everyday policies that are not related to job qualifications but usually end up leaving out racial minorities. Some of these can include:You are scheduled for a promotion and your boss decides to hire or promote a less-qualified person of another race;You are getting great performance reviews, but you are being paid less than other similarly qualified Caucasian employees who have been there just as long;Changes in job unrelated to performance such as a demotion or changing to another job of lesser status, etc.I would strongly suggest that you see an employment or labor lawyer in your area. This treatment is unacceptable and you shouldn't put up with it. When you make an appointment to see an employment lawyer, ask for a free consultation before you go there.If you would like, I can send you a list of employment lawyers in your area. I cannot recommend any specific attorneys to you but I can send you a list and explain what to look for on the list. This way, you'll know not to pick an attorney who has a red mark of misconduct next to his or her name. If you are interested, please let me know what borough you want a lawyer in. This is at no extra charge to you. I do this for people who ask me questions so that I can point people in the right direction.
Does this answer your question? I am more than happy to answer additional questions based on this one if you want.I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. If you need additional information please let me know. Best of luck to you! Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. Thank you, ***** ***** you for allowing me to help you today.Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.(no additional charges are incurred).
Please feel free to ask me any more questions related to your original question. I'll be checking in tonight from time to time.
Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you. Thanks!Customer
FamilyAttorney
FamilyAttorney
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer