Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Is it illegal man to use the women's restroom in new jersey?

Customer Question
Is it illegal for a...
Is it illegal for a man to use the women's restroom in new jersey? At the meadowlands racetrack there was a huge line for the mens restroom. So I joined my girlfriend in the women's room. I was attacked by security who punched me in the face and put me in a choke hold. While this happening another jumped me and injured my knee. I just wanted to pre and leave and all this was unnecessary. Was I committing any crime?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
5/22/2016
Employment Lawyer: Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Christopher B, Esq.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. Basically, it is a matter of convention, as long as you don't do anything that may be an actual crime (and a male going into a female changing room/locker room would get him charged with something, probably under voyeurism laws). If a room is labelled as being for a specific gender, then those of that gender have a reasonable expectation of privacy within, and will behave in line with that expectation - breaching that expectation of privacy will fall within the realm of a criminal offense. Certain states allow men to use women's bathrooms if they are gay or transgendered. According to Concerned Women For America, states like California, Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington allow men who are transgendered to use women's restrooms. Even more states allow public employees, like police officers or teachers to use women's restrooms if they are transgendered. This has caused a significant amount of controversy among many different groups who worry about people posing as transgendered being allowed to enter women's restrooms and harass or attack them. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or number from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess a better question would be whether security has the right to physically detain me instead of allowing me to exit under my own accord. I was urinating with the stall door closed before security kicked it open and assaulted me. Is this a reasonable response? The state police charged me with no crime after they were called.
a private establishment can make their own rules and keep you from entering the opposite sex's bathroom. The security must use an appropriate amount of force which is a very subjective term. I you were injured and they used excessive force then you might have a cause of action against the establishment. This might be a difficult case to win considering the circumstances but it will depend on the amount of force and your reaction as well. But the establishment does not have free reign to assault you because of this. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or number from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer