Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

If I have been notified that an employee has bed bugs and is

Customer Question
causing unrest wiht other employees...
If I have been notified that an employee has bed bugs and is causing unrest wiht other employees how do I handle it
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
5/20/2016
Employment Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LawTalk, Attorney
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please. 1. Has the allegation of this employee having bedbugs been confirmed or is it merely a rumor?2. Has a licensed pest company inspected the workplace to determine whether bedbugs are being brought into the workplace?3. Where is this employee supposed to have these bedbugs?Doug
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1. Yes they have been confirmed by the employee
2. They are coming out - but she has removed them from herself in the workplace
3. ON her clothing
The employee is known to have removed bedbugs from her person while in the workplace?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what are my answers
Thanks for the confirmation. And thanks for your patience. Please remember that I am a real person, not a computer and I draft your response just for your situation---so I cannot provide an answer immediately on your asking. What most employees in your situation do is to place the employee on leave---either paid or unpaid via sick leave or PTO----and require that before they return that they show evidence of having had their residence and their furnishings and clothing eradicated of the pests, or somehow take measures to ensure that they do not bring the pests into the workplace. Quite frankly, I don't believe it is possible to ensure that the employee is coming to work without bedbugs on their clothing of they have not gone through the process of professional extermination in their residence. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do I have this conversation with the employee (with the bedbugs) with another person present to protect myself from a law suit?
Hi, If you have a company HR office then HR should be involved in the meeting. If you do not have an HR department then have another company manager with you as a witness during the meeting, and then follow up the meeting with a written notification to the employee as to the terms of the leave of absence so that their personnel file can be properly documented. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Is there anything else I can assist you with?Doug
LawTalk, Attorney