How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a subpoena to come to court ex boyfriend that i

Customer Question

I received a subpoena to come to court for a ex boyfriend that i have not dated in almost 2 years and its in another state. It was dropped at my job which almost cost me my job & not to mention the humiliation it caused. Not only can I not afford to be off work and I fear i may loos my job. A police officer dropped off at my job and I said I'm not acting that and he dropped on elevator and left. I already suffer from anxitey disorder and this has caused extreme stress to me and my work enviornment as well. What can I do to get out if this or is it possible that i do not go????
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of experience handling litigation matters of this nature. It is a pleasure to assist you today. First off, you are going to be alright - subpoenas are common things and your employer should not take adverse action against you for taking care of a legally binding matter. Second, and to the point of your question, you need to contact the court that issued the subpoena and request that the subpoena be quashed because:1. You cannot be available due to work obligations;2. Even if you could be available, you cannot afford to attend any hearing; and 3. There is no need for you to be present as you have nothing to add to this case. The court clerk may ask you to file a document called a Motion to Quash with the court in which you state your reasons for not being able to attend. That is not a bad thing either. Here is a link to a sample Motion to Quash: Basically, you put the style of the case across the top and state your reasons for not being able to attend and send it to the court. Based on what you have shared with me, I think the court will oblige your request. In the alternative, if the court does not quash the subpoena altogether, you should ask if you can provide testimony via conference call in view of the distance and inconvenience. I have utilized this technique in the past as well. In the end, you are going to be fine. I understand your fear because this is something new and unknown to you. Completely normal to be stressed, but you need to concentrate on not letting it get to you. You are going to be alright here. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE STARS). Best wishes!
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any other questions or concerns? Thanks
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Just checking to see if you have any additional questions. I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward here. Thanks!