How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 20395
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive worked at Starbucks years i started making 8.25 then I

Customer Question

Ive worked at Starbucks for 2 years i started making 8.25 then I earned my raises up to 11.59 and a couple months ago I got promoted to a shift supervisor and started making 12.20 about a month ago I asked for a transfer and stepped down from a shift supervisor back to a barista and of course I new my pay would go down also but it went down to 10.25 that's less then I was making before are they allowed to do that?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question, and I am sorry to read about your situation. Unless there is a written policy that prohibits the reduction or you work under a contract, your employer has the right to set and change the terms and conditions of your employment. In other words, this reduction wouldn't be unlawful unless those exceptions apply. The only other restriction is that an employer can not treat one employee less favorable simply because of that employee's race, gender, national origin, age (over 40), religion, disability, pregnancy or military service. If you do believe you fall within one of those exceptions, you should file a complaint with your HR department. If they cannot resolve the issue, then you can file a wage complaint if this act violates a written policy or contract, or file a discrimination complaint with the EEOC if you believe you are being targeted for being in one of the protected classes I mentioned. Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 17th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox. In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: you.