Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was fired 20 minuets before my shift

Customer Question
I was fired for insubordination...
I was fired for insubordination 20 minuets before my shift was over when the actual situation happened the first hour i went into work. They said i had to do positions i was never trained to do along with my own job in required. I asked for my pay and was told I would get paid when the checks came in a week later when I picked up my check i asked for my termination papers I signed they refused and also did not pay me my training hours and pay when I first started. Do i have a strong case?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
5/17/2016
Employment Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Yes I do believe you have an unpaid wages claim. You are entitled to all money owed even if you are terminated for cause. You need to contact your state agency regarding this. That may be more cost effective than hiring an attorney. Here is the link. http://labor.mo.gov/DLS/General/discharged
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What about being fired for insubordination? Shouldn't they of fired me on the spot instead of 5hours later espically when they said i refused to work
That actually benefits you since you are owed for the work that day.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was hired as the bartender not a server or room service they expected me to do all 3. I was never trained to answer or do room service. It was also not my scheduled day to work i was begged by my supervisor she had to work at the banquet center. I also was never asked my side or even given a write up another chance or a time to e even talk to anyone about the situation but a employee at the front desk emailed the owner about his side of the situation that occurred the owner proceed to email my supervisor who was at the banquet center to come to the hotel and terminate me.
You could have a claim for wrongful termination but that is hard to pursue because most employment is at will so they can fire you at any time.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello
Hello?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I sent you a better understanding of my situation but you never answered me
I think my answer didnt go through. I said that you could claim wrongful termination but since your employment is at will it will be hard to win on that.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What does employment at will mean?
It means that you do not have a contract with them and thus they can fire you at any time with or without cause. The employee can also quit anytime.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But their reasoning for terminating me for insubordination. "Refusing" to work so why would they make me work for 5 more hours if I want working
I do not know why they waited. Maybe they wanted to talk to their HR or legal department.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a process for terminating anemployee
Each employer has their own process. There is no specific way to do it by law.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do i have the right to a copy of my termination papers and paperwork for times and tip money documents
Yes you do.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well they refused twice and told me they don't and won't give me a copy they said it is for their own personal property
When you file your claim they will most likely be required to turn it over.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
So what would I be benefited. Of hiring a lawyer for wages unpaid will I only get awarded for the unpaid pay
Well i gave you the link to file a claim with your state agency so you may not need an attorney. An attorney's costs would offset the wages they might collect.
Any additional questions? If not a positive rating would be appreciated.
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer