How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 116709
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a school district employee (3 years). Recently,

Customer Question

Hello - I am a school district employee (3 years). Recently, I found out I have been underpaid by $1.50 an hour since I started. They decided to give me the back pay for this year only, since (according to them) they have already closed out the prior years.
this is a snapshot of the consequent email conversation:
Hi Marie - Please find attached your updated employee notice, which indicates your new monthly salary and the retro amount back to September.
Technically, it was your responsibility to request your employment verification (see below info from your bargaining agreement) from Edmonds but since I was asking for information regarding your competencies I sent them an employment verification for you since it didn’t look like we had ever received one. The returned form allowed me to go back to the beginning of this school year but we won’t go back to the beginning of your employment with us since those fiscal years have passed and been closed.
Have a great day.
From: Cave, Marie A.
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2016 1:14 PM
To: ***** ***** L.
Subject: RE: CORE competencies
Could you please let me know the details? Also, should it be retroactive to when I started with the district permanently?
Thank you –
From: Carrell, Janea L.
Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2016 8:33 PM
To: ***** ***** A.
Cc: '*****@******.***'
Subject: CORE competencies
Hi Marie – In going through your competency paperwork from Edmonds it looks like they did things very differently from Everett and I don’t think I will be able to count the information towards your CORE competencies. I contacted Edmonds HR requesting information regarding your competencies, but they were not able to help me.
So, bad news I will need you to complete the CORE competencies. The CORE competencies 1 - 13 is an online class which can be taken at If you complete all the classes by June 30th you will be able to advance to level II for the 2016-17. After you complete the classes please send me a copy of the two certificates you will be able to print out upon completion. Do not pay for the clock hours if the site requests it, it is not necessary.
Good news, though! In going through your file I noticed we never received your work experience from Edmonds. I have received your employment verification from back from them and will be able to increase your salary and vacation days for this school year.
If you have any questions, please let me know.
Janea Carrell
Human Resources ***@******.*** (###) ###-#### | (###) ###-#### *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Wage claims and failure to pay proper wages due have a 2 year statute of limitations, which means since this is their mistake you have a right to pursue them for 2 years of mistake in the payroll, since this was not a willful and malicious mistake. If they do not agree to correct your pay for the 2 years since the date of your claim, you can seek to sue them for the time that they are not reimbursing you within that 2 year statute of limitations for breach of contract and failure to pay proper wages due.

Related Employment Law Questions