Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I spent 11 years with an organization, resigned, turned in

Customer Question
resignation, was granted eligible for...
I spent 11 years with an organization, resigned, turned in resignation, was granted eligible for rehire, left on june 10th 2015 . we in discussion with the client I had worked for, was in talks to be hired as an associate athletic director...... 2 days later former employer had me arrested and accused of stealing a campus john deer. upon questioning with the police who by the way read me my rights, said they ask me in the exit interview where the vehicle was, and they told police I said I don't know. I ask the police for 30 min, was granted and brought back a recorded conversation of the exit interview proving they never asked, that this was a ploy to stop me from being hired by the client, I ask the police, did the company tell you it was their vehicle, police officer stated you had been fired and stole it, I told police officer, sir first it is not their vehicle, , as soon as said company purchases any assets it becomes property of the university , he said I was wondering why It had a university id tag on it, I said exactly, the charges started against me as felony theft, upon conversation it was dropped to a misdemeanor , unauthorization of a movable, sir the vehicle had to leave campus for repair, I was authorized to do so because I had done so for the last 11 years. since that incident, the athletic director position never happened, several job offers ceased, my former company was telling people I was fired, when I resigned and have proof from HR that I am eligible for rehire. have been unable to find a career since, 2 weeks after said arrest, my son was diagnonsed with Leukemia, this happened in June of 2015 , the client believed in me so much they did hire me for the football season as a consultant, that ended November
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
5/13/2016
Employment Lawyer: Attorney2020, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer
What is your question? Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my question is , is that defamation of character
Yes, it they are telling other that you were fired when that is a lie, that can be considered defamatory. You could sue for damages caused by the defamatory statement. You have one year from the date of the defamatory statement to file a claim. I hope that helped. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.
I hope that helped. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Attorney2020
Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer