How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 3989
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently submitted an application certification

Customer Question

I recently submitted an application for national certification (NAADAC). The application required 2 letters of recommendation. One of the individuals who wrote the recommendation e-mailed me a copy and the other did not. The instructions on the form is to send the letter of recommendation to NAADAC not to the applicant. Since then, my application was approved and I was awarded national certification. I then decided to ascertain a copy of the other recommendation for my records. My question is: Can NAADAC refuse to provide me that letter of recommendation? I did call the Ohio Chemical Dependency Board to see how they do business and the representative advised me that the applicant is given the supervisors paperwork, which includes whether he/she should be award licensure and then the paperwork is returned to the applicant, which is then submitted with the entire application packet.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience, including experience working with addiction professionals. I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

The short answer is that NAADAC is not obligated under the law to provide you a copy of this letter (unless it was part of a discovery request in litigation).

The Ohio Chemical Dependency Board is a State government licensing authority. As a government agency it must abide by certain laws pertaining to access to government records and privacy act laws.)

Unlike the Board, NAADAC is a private (not government) organization. It gets to set its own rules and procedures in regard to the certification process. So in that regard as a private organization they are NOT subject to the types of open records laws (such as FOIA or the Privacy Act) that a government agency would be subject to. This means that the law does not obligate them to provide you a copy of the recommendation letter. It is possible that the person who sent the letter requested that you NOT be given a copy and that NAADAC is respecting that request. (Why someone would make such a request is beyond me, but as an addiction professional you already know or will come to learn that individual motivations are often baffling.)

I understand that this may not be what you were expecting or wanting to hear. But I would not want to mislead you into spending your time, energy and resources on something that you can not control.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,


Related Employment Law Questions