How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 117358
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having some medical issues and under my doctors care,

Customer Question

I am having some medical issues and under my doctors care, but had trouble at work getting out of the bathroom. asked for help from other employee who is friend and college I have worked with for 15 years. I have worked at this company 20 years. They are trying to push me out now. Requiring a doctors release to return to work after the above incident, which I got. Now they have gathered employees in my absence and told them no one is to help me in the future they may only call 911 to help me if I should have trouble. My medical issue is breathing we are doing tests had some yesterday. I feel this presents a hostile work environment for me. Am I wrong?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
An employer has a right to insure that an employee is safe to be in the workplace. If you have a permanent disability, you are entitled to ask the employer for reasonable accommodation. So you need to give the employer the doctor's information in the form of a detailed report from the doctor explaining not only your disability, but also what accommodations you require from the employer to allow you to continue to do your job. Once you give the employer that information, then under the Americans with Disabilities Act would protect you and if they refuse to accommodate you then it would be a hostile environment or discrimination under the ADA.
Your employer asking for a note though saying that you are safe to return to work is a right of an employer to make sure you are safe to be in the work environment to protect you, the other employees and the employer.
So, get a good detailed report from the doctor and make a request for reasonable accommodation from the employer under the ADA which would protect you into the future.

Related Employment Law Questions