Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I am being forced to sign a piece of paper by my employer stating

Customer Question

I am being forced to sign a piece of paper by my employer stating I'm denying health insurance !" When in truth I actually want health insurance and just paid a 800 dollar tax penalty for not having it !", my employer is now threating me with withholding my paycheck unless I sign there paper .
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. It's illegal for them to withhold your paycheck or to force you to sign the document. Unfortunately, the state level Department of Labor is your only recourse here. Until you hear back from them, there isn't any other method to force the employer to behave correctly. If they do withhold your check, the way to get it is through the DOL, so the recourse is ultimately the same. The method of suing the employer for this sort of behavior is to first have it investigated by your state's DOL. It all comes back to them, so that is where you go and what you do, in order to get this corrected. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.
Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.