Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I work at a large organization. About 6 months ago an email

Customer Question

I work at a large organization. About 6 months ago an email came out to everyone stating that they wanted all employee problems to go through "arbitration" instead of the employee seeking an outside attorney. They stated that if it wasn't signed electronically that you could lose your job. I signed it right then.
One month later another email came through and said...you don't need to sign. We will assume that you agree.
I believe that I signed out of duress. Would I have a case?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. No, you would not have a case. Duress involves threats of violence, blackmail, a statement that you'll be ruined within the community, etc. It requires such an extreme level of coercion, that the very act itself would be illegal (much less the document that you were convinced to sign during the illegal act). Holding an individual's job over their head, while certainly a form of coercion, is a form of legal coercion. An employer is allowed to hold your job over your head for certain things. Requiring an agreement to arbitrate in return for employment is actually legal, therefore, it does not rise to the level of duress. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.
Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.