Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I would like to know if I have a cash I started this company…

Customer Question
I would like to know...
I would like to know if I have a cash I started this company beginning March.
I work for klb a consultant company that was implementing a project for Vallourec USa. I was told that after the project that I would hire on to Vallourec as an employee. I started projected to replace someone who quit. I started as 3 of us and they hired a 4th person. 2 white( 1 man , 1woman), 2 black(1 man, 1 woman) . ON Wed May 3 they came in saying everyone had to turn in our computers to get them upgraded around 11 am.. All four our computers were turned in. The 2 black ppl were instructed that were instructed to go home because it would take all day and the two white people stayed saying they had a meeting around 2 pm. Later around 4pm both black ppl got a call saying they were firing us. I ask for reason and they said they have no reason. I emailed them and ask for reason of termination and they gave no reason. The two white people stayed and then the project implementation start Today May 9 so there is still need for work. Neither one of the black ppl have been in trouble or wrote up.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
5/9/2016
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Patrick, Esq.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. If you believe that you were terminated because you are African American, that would be illegal. However, the fact that two African Americans were let go while two white people were not is probably insufficient to establish this as your employer's motivation. The Texas Civil Rights Division is the state agency that investigates race discrimination. They would be able to conduct an investigation on your behalf to determine if there are additional facts that would support a claim that race is the reason you were fired. Filing a complaint with the Civil Rights Division is a prerequisite to filing a lawsuit, and the process is free, so there is nothing to lose by filing your complaint and seeing what results from the investigation. See here to initiate that process. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.
What qualifies. It is that our project is still needed and we both were let go and there was no reason of us getting fired. They advertise for our position and keep them and we are all on the same level
Thank you. There is no set rule for what qualifies as adequate proof of race discrimination. Ultimately, a jury needs to conclude that it is more likely than not, based on all the facts and circumstances, that BUT FOR your race you would not have been fired. This is a "question of fact." Nobody can predict with certainty what a jury would find, so I can't say there is a "zero percent" chance that these circumstantial facts would result in a verdict in your favor, but in my experience more would be needed. That "more" is something which the Civil Rights Commission can uncover, which is why you should file your complaint as soon as possible. I hope this clarifies things. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you.Very best wishes.
How do I find out if I have a case?
I think that is what I've answered. Ultimately it comes down to what a jury would find. The facts you have stated are suggestive of discrimination but probably not sufficient to convince a jury that it is more likely than not that your race is the reason you were fired. The Civil Rights Commission can uncover additional evidence. They can also set up a mediation with your employer to help try and resolve your claim. I hope this clarifies things.
Is there anything else I can do?
Are you still with me? Please let me know if you were able to view my response to your last post....
I was asking do you think I have a strong case but I really didn't get an answer.I understand you can't give direct but i would ask if u as a lawyer would take case and think i should pursue or let go...
I cannot make that kind of assessment. You would need to file a complaint with the Civil Rights Division and have them conduct an investigation to see if more facts supporting a discrimination claim can be uncovered. That would be the next step here.