Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was terminated March 16 different reasons that

Customer Question
I was terminated March 16...
I was terminated March 16 for three different reasons that my company lay claims that I had pour work and insubordination the problem was I was never warn written up for any of these allegations I was sat down and told what the infractions were and terminated in one morning what are my rights?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
5/6/2016
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. In employment law, if you do not have an employment contract specifically stating that you can only be terminated for cause, you are an at will employee. At will employees can legally be terminated at any time, with or without good cause. The cause given, when they choose to give one, doesn't have to be accurate. No warnings or write ups are required. (However, if they try to block your unemployment, you can fight that issue and win....it just means you get unemployment, not that the termination was illegal). So, the only way for the termination to be illegal in an at will situation is if you can allege discrimination based on your race, religion, gender, age, disability or recent FMLA use. You have mentioned that you are pregnant and pregnancy discrimination is a form of gender discrimination. However, you need some facts that directly indicate that was the basis for the termination. You noted that the employer wanted to remove your entire department. Were others terminated? If so, it is really difficult to suggest that pregnancy was the motivation (unless they too were pregnant...the others released). If you were the only one released though, contact the EEOC in your state and allege pregnancy discrimination so that the government agency can investigate and preserve your right to sue. Filing is free and you don't need an attorney. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.
Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer